Getting here and getting around
You can get to Wellington by land, water and air. Wellington's international airport has many connections throughout the country and also to Australia.
The major airlines flying into Wellington are Air New Zealand (domestic and international), Qantas (international) and JetStar (domestic).
From the airport to Te Papa
You can get into the city centre of Wellington and to Te Papa by a number of transportation choices:
- Airport bus 91: The bus runs during the day time and takes between 15 and 30 minutes to get to the city centre depending on traffic. It costs $9.00, and is thus the cheapest option. Get off at the second stop for Courtenay Place. It is announced as "Courtenay Place for Te Papa" (across from Reading Cinema). You will then walk to the waterfront for about 5 minutes (400 meters). You will need to have cash to pay the driver.
- Shuttle: You can hire a shared ride into the city centre. The advantage is that you are dropped off right in front of your final destination. However, you might be travelling a bit longer than with a straight taxi ride if someone needs to be dropped off before you or you might need to wait for people to make their way to the shuttle service at the airport. New Zealand taxi vouchers are accepted. There are two shuttle companies:
- Co-op shuttles: You need to pre-book this shuttle service. They will have a sign with your name in the arrivals area. Costs: $20 anywhere in the city centre. If you travel with more people, each additional person is $6.
- Super Shuttle: They have a stand at the airport, and you do not need to pre-book them. Costs: $22 to Te Papa. Additional person is $6.
- Taxi: You have a choice of three companies that can park directly at the airport. Fares to Te Papa are most likely around $38-$45 depending on traffic and whether you pay by (credit) card or in cash. A card fee of $2 can be imposed. New Zealand taxi vouchers are accepted.
From the airport to your city hotel
The above transportation possibilities are pretty much the same for anywhere in the city centre. If you stay at one of the hotels on Willis Street, you can get off the airport bus at "Manners Street at Willis Street".
From the train station to Te Papa
If you are staying outside of the city centre of Wellington and arrive by (local) train, you can walk to Te Papa along the water front in about 20 minutes or catch any bus going past Courtenay Place and get off at Courtenay Place Central right in front of Reading Cinema.
By car to Te Papa
Parking can be scarce in Wellington. The city can be explored on foot as everything is close by in the city centre. Te Papa does offer a special parking fee for conference attendees on 19 and 20 March 2014. The special day event attendees rate is $9.00 and the evening special is $6.00 from 5pm to 2am the next day. Day hourly parking rate is $3.50 and night hourly is $2.00 from 5pm to 2am the next day. Rates for parking are inclusive of GST. You will need to bring your parking tickets to the function venue to be able to get them validated.
To the hackfest at Catalyst
- The hackfest takes place at Catalyst House on 150 Willis Street. It is just a few metres away from both the Trinity and Abel Tasman hotels.
- If you come by bus from the railway station, get off at the Willis Street stop and walk up Willis Street for a few minutes until you reach Catalyst House. If you come from the direction of Courtenay Place, get off at the "Manners Street at Willis Street" stop.
- If you come by car to the hackfest on 21 March 2014 at 150 Willis Street, there is a parking structure across the street.